If you’re on Instagram, follow Tiny Plastic Spacemen @tpspaintingstudio (or click here!) for regular photo updates! You can also ask questions about painting and other stuff there, it’s just another way to stay in touch!
Category Archives: Work In Progress
Here’s where I’m at painting my first Dropzone Commander starter army!
This is the UCM half of the Dropzone Commander starter set, with 3 colors of camouflage on it. I might add a very thin line of black but I’ll see how the models look after a wash of black to bring out the details.
Finally getting some more paint on my bigger bugs! Shown are 3 Tervigon/Tyrannofexes, a Hive Tyrant, a Flying Hive Tyrant, 3 Biovores and 2 Zoanthropes I made some progress on last night. These were primed zenithally, highlighted with white primer, then the fleshy areas were airbrushed with Minitaire Ancient Bone. Last night while watching 3 episodes of Elementary I mixed some Ghost Tint (5 parts Oil Discharge to 4 parts Green) and brushed it on the hard carapace/blade/claw areas. have to finish off the Tervigons and then I’ll start touching up the spikes on the Tervigons with yellow Ghost Tint or maybe just green (or maybe green for the smaller spikes and yellow for the larger?), then magenta Ghost Tint on the tongues, vents and joints to match the first batch of Termagants I did. That should tidy them up nicely and once they’re mounted on the space ship bases I’m working on (the biggest bases will be custom-made for every model, I think, but I’m not sure yet) I’ll see what I should do about highlighting the carapace and blade bits – I don’t generally go for the cartoony extreme edge-highlighted GW look but it looks pretty good on Tyranids, I think. In addition to these, I have a Mawloc, a couple of Carnifexes, another Hive Tyrant and 12 Warriors to do.
Sci-fi bases for models include all sorts of things, and being a huge fan of the Aliens movies (yes, I even liked Alien 3 but not Alien 4!) I decided for my growing Tyranide Hive Fleet Eviscera horde I would custom-make space ship deck bases for all of my bug models. I’d scratchbuild a bunch of bases then cast them in resin so I could make as many as I want.
Here it is! This is my new painting area, ready for building, converting and painting. Pretty cool! I’ve finally got racks for my paints, a work light stolen from my computer desk and space for all my plastic drawers. Click through for more pictures of how it (finally!) got to
I wanted to try painting on the felt that I use for 40K and X-Wing Miniatures, so I gave that a go the other night. I’ve always been entranced with nebula pictures from the Hubble telescope (gas clouds) and wanted to paint something similar on the reverse side of the
Nearly all the colors are done on my orc BB team, I just need to finish off the leather straps, do a wash on the clothes and add various weathering/mud/blood effects on them! Then I’ll finish off the basing with mud and static grass.
Another ebay rescue! These are old-school metal terminators that I stripped the paint off and mounted them on new 40mm bases, on two layers of corkboard material. With all these spiky bits, trust me, you do NOT want to drop these on your feet, lap, children, car, wooden floor, etc…